Saturday, March 23, 2013

Rainbow cake!

Two friends share a birthday on March 20.  We were going to be together, so a cake was in order.  When I was at tutoring on Monday, the girl I'm tutoring told me about a cake that she and a friend of hers had made.  You know what I did then... went to Pinterest to look for a recipe.  Here is what I found:



This was really easy to do.  Essentially, you make a white (box) cake according to the directions.

 



I then split the batter into bowls, added different colors of food coloring to each, and spread them in a bundt pan a layer at a time.  I was worried about stirring them together accidentally as I spread the layers out in case the colors would mix, but found out later they didn't really mix.





I also needed a glaze, so went with a recipe from here:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vanilla-glaze/


The glaze didn't work as planned.  It seemed to be a lot of powdered sugar for very little liquid, and the recipe said, "Stir until creamy."  It wasn't getting creamy anytime soon, so I alternated adding milk and powdered sugar until it was a good consistency.  Ended up with WAY too much glaze, but it tasted good!

The final result was REALLY moist (yum!) and very pretty!



Definitely recommended!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment